By JAMES TAYLOR
AMBULANCE Victoria has ‘‘apologised unreservedly’’ for mistakenly reporting that a woman killed in a crash in Narre Warren East last week was pregnant.
The woman died in the head-on collision between two cars on Belgrave-Hallam Road on April 4.
At the time, Ambulance Victoria said the 40-year-old woman was pregnant and her unborn child was also killed in the crash.
A Victoria Police spokeswoman said yesterday that the woman was not pregnant.
This was confirmed by Ambulance Victoria regional manager Cath Anderson today.
‘‘On Wednesday, April 4, Ambulance Victoria incorrectly stated to media that a woman who died following a car crash at Narre Warren East was pregnant,’’ Ms Anderson said.
‘‘An opinion was formed at the scene that the trapped woman might be pregnant. This was not confirmed and should not have been released publicly.
‘‘Ambulance Victoria media staff have been counselled about their obligations to protect patient privacy and confidentiality. We have apologised unreservedly to the family of the woman for the distress this has caused.’’