DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Thunder's $40,000 fine 'could kill club'

Thunder's $40,000 fine 'could kill club'

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

DANDENONG Thunder Soccer Club has lodged an appeal against a $40,000 fine and 10 home-game lockout that it says could wipe it out of existence.

The club had been sanctioned for misconduct after two young female spectators were injured by a rocket flare fired by a Thunder supporter at last month’s Victorian Premier League grand final. Four other flares were also launched by Thunder supporters from a stand’s upper tiers.

The appeal, lodged last Wednesday, will be heard by a Football Federation Victoria-appointed appeals board on November 28.

Spokesman Ronnie Mustafai, who stood down as treasurer last week, said the club would implore the appeals board to at least halve the number of home-game lockouts.

The 10 games would be closed to spectators, which could cost the club up to $100,000 in gate, food and drinks revenue. On top of that, the club stands to lose players, members and sponsors.

“It could definitely spell the end of the club,” Mustafai said. “If we can reduce the penalty, we can stay alive next year.”

Club officials have partly blamed security failings at the grand final venue AAMI Park for the flare launches.

AAMI Park’s venue controller told the tribunal at the November 8 hearing that there were only seven police on hand while flares were fired in the second half — 31 less than at the preceding A-League game. The venue controller revealed police command would not send its unarmed officers into the top tiers of the grandstand to hunt those launching flares.

Under questioning, the controller said security officers checked spectators’ bags at venue entrances, but did not perform pat-down checks. He conceded flares could easily be smuggled in spectator pockets or bras.

At the hearing, Thunder officials claimed FFV had days earlier knocked back an offer for the club to use its own ‘crowd police’.

The FFV said the security matter was “in hand”. The club had volunteered names of “two persons of interest” to police since the match. A police spokeswoman said Melbourne CIU detectives were investigating but no charges had been laid.

A FFV spokesman said the federation would not comment until after the appeal.

What do you think? Post a comment below.

For all the latest breaking news, stay with this website. Also, follow the Weekly  at facebook.com/dandenongjournal or on Twitter @DandenongJournal.

Digital Editions


  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall…

More News

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528966 Dandenong (203) was on the receiving end of a milestone moment amidst a defeat to finals-bound Melbourne (6/308) at Shepley Oval in round…

  • Noble falls painfully short

    Noble falls painfully short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531172 A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…