DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Dumping on charity is just uncharitable

Dumping on charity is just uncharitable

By JASON TURNER

A GROUP of Noble Park charity shops is disgruntled by Greater Dandenong Council’s reluctance to help clean up the regular havoc created by illegal dumping.

The Ermha and St Aidan’s opportunity shops have struggled to clear rubbish left by people scavenging out-of-hours donations but said the council had been reluctant to clean it up.

Staff at Ermha’s Buckley Street store — which raises money for the not-for-profit mental health care organisation — regularly arrive on Monday mornings to find donated items blocking footpaths, and other mess littering the car park.

Ermha op shop team leader Rhonda Okey said the mess was particularly bad after the Christmas break.

“It’s a massive problem,” Mrs Okey said. “After Boxing Day we found things spread all over the car park.”

Some of the so-called donations had included soiled mattresses and old X-rays. “The council will follow it up [if volunteers catch someone in the act] but we have to be prepared to go to court.”

St Aidan’s, a smaller op shop nearby, has had similar problems. Co-ordinator John Workman said staff had difficulty handling the rubbish.”No way in the world they’re donations.”

Disposing of piles of rubbish can also be costly and eat into charity budgets.

The council’s city planning, design and amenity acting director Peter Shelton said it was not financially viable for the council to clean up the mess created by illegal dumping.

“Any material dumped at charity stores becomes the responsibility of that charity store. It is matter for the individual charity as to whether they retain or dispose of the material.”

The opportunity shops have erected signs warning against illegal dumping. People can receive a maximum penalty of $5000 for the offence.

Mr Shelton said a trial of closed circuit cameras, council patrols and enforcement had helped to curb the issue at a Springvale opportunity shop.

Last week, the state government announced that selected councils, including Greater Dandenong, would get a share of $300,000 for signs, cameras and other measures aimed at preventing the problem.

What do you think? Post a comment below.

For all the latest breaking news, stay with this website. Also, follow the Weekly  at facebook.com/dandenongjournal or on Twitter  @DandyJournal.

Digital Editions


  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall…

More News

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528966 Dandenong (203) was on the receiving end of a milestone moment amidst a defeat to finals-bound Melbourne (6/308) at Shepley Oval in round…

  • Noble falls painfully short

    Noble falls painfully short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531172 A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…