Reuse and Recycle Drop Off Day
Get rid of larger unwanted household goods suitable for donating or electronic and household goods suitable for recycling. Acceptable items include furniture, bikes, homewares, clothes and linen, TVs, computers, whitegoods, mattress and electrical appliances. Please bring along your recycling day brochure. Residents are to remain inside their cars at all times.
– Saturday 25 November, 8am-1pm at Greaves Reserve, 20 Bennet Street, Dandenong. Free event. No registrations needed. Details: greaterdandenong.vic.gov.au/recycle-day
Hallam Friends of the Red Cross
Our final meeting for 2023 plans for community activities in 2024. All welcome, bring your ideas to help us connect with the community in better ways.
– Tuesday 21 November, 10.30am at Hallam Community Learning Centre, Kays Avenue, Hallam. (the next meeting after this is 20 February 2024). Details: Robert Read, 0455 566 570.
Walk Against Family Violence
Meet at Dandenong Market and walk to Harmony Square for our annual walk against family violence. Hear from guest speaker Liana Papoutsis, a dedicated social change advocate who has lived experience of surviving family violence.
– Tuesday 21 November, meet 11.15am at Dandenong Market. Free event. No bookings required.
Question the Space
Enjoy works by artists Rachel Burke, Ross Coulter, Jordan Fleming, Guerrilla Girls, Melbourne Art Library, Kent Morris, Dean Norton, Tina Patlas, Kenny Pittock, Nick Selenitsch and TextaQueen. Artwork locations include Walker Street Gallery and various venues around central Dandenong. Opening event on Saturday 25 November, 2pm-4pm.
– Tuesday 21 November – Friday 1 March at Walker Street Gallery and Arts Centre, corner Walker and Robinson streets, Dandenong (open Tuesday-Friday, 12pm-4pm).
Garden open day
Maralinga Community Garden’s next open day will be held on the inaugural National Community Gardens Day.
– Sunday 26 November, 10am-12pm at Chandler Road Reserve, Keysborough.
Neighbourhood Watch public forum
Greater Dandenong Neighbourhood Watch celebrates 40 years of Neighbourhood Watch in Victoria with a public forum, safety information session, AGM and supper. Guest speaker: Detective Senior Sergeant Rachel Marshall, an Officer in Charge at Dandenong police station who has served in CIU, sexual offences and child abuse units. All welcome.
– Wednesday 29 November, 7pm for 7.30pm start at Paddy O’Donoghue Centre, 18-34 Buckley Street, Noble Park. (Ample parking at the rear of centre, off Frank Street). Bookings: trybooking.com/CLYOJ
Art exhibition and book launch
Celebrate the amazing talent of The Art of Soul and Creative Writing Groups at this community event. Launch of the book ‘Hopes and Dreams’ with readings and signings by authors, original artworks of Open Door artists, light finger food, champagne and games. Artworks, books and handmade cards, cushions, junk journals and diaries for sale. Raffle raising funds for Friends of Refugees.
– Thursday 30 November 11am-2pm at 110 Ann Street, Dandenong.
Yesteryear: A Glimpse into Greater Dandenong’s Past
This exhibition explores our region’s changing landscape and rich historical narratives through selected artworks, images and objects from Council’s Civic and Cultural Heritage Collection and local historical society collections.
– Open Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays, 10am to 2pm (until 24 November) at Benga, Heritage Hill Museum and Historic Gardens, 66 McCrae Street, Dandenong. Free event.
Safe number plates
Bring your vehicle and have anti-theft screws fixed to your number plates for $3. In association with Greater Dandenong Neighbourhood Watch.
– Wednesday, 6 December 10am-2pm at Talyer Auto Dandenong, 4/260-276 Abbotts Road Dandenong South. Bookings: 1300 825 937.
Interfaith Network tour
Join a guided public tour of places of worship in the South East – Emir Sultan Mosque, Gurdwara Sri Guru Granth Sahib temple, St John’s German Lutheran Church and Chua Quan Thanh (Tao Temple).
– Wednesday 13 December 8.30am-3pm; $25 (plus $10-$15 donation for lunch at St John’s). Details: Helen Heath: 8774 7662, 0421 829 563 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Improve fitness and energy levels for good health and wellbeing at this adult exercise group class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is a self-paced, gentle aerobics class suitable for all levels.
– Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9.30am at Jan Wilson Community Centre, Halton Road, Noble Park North; $5 per session. No registrations required. Details: 8571 1436 or email@example.com
Fun for retirees
New members from Dandenong North and Noble Park are sought by the Waverley Gardens Combined Probus Club. In addition to other activities, club members also meet for coffee & listen to a guest speaker.
– last Tuesday of the month (next on 31 October) 9.45am-noon at Southern Community Centre, 27 Rupert Dr, Mulgrave (near Police Rd). Details: Don, 9560 6046.
Meditation and positive thinking
Learn how to make your mind your best friend through open-eyed meditation. Led by Bhavani Padmanabhan, these free sessions are open to all. Presented by Bakhtar Community Organisation and The Brahma Kumaris Organisation.
– Saturdays 2pm at 23-47 Gunns Road, Hallam. Registrations: 9703 2555 or 0403 551 596.
Adults welcome (Mondays 7pm-9pm) and ladies and retired (Wednesdays 12pm-2.30pm).
– Hallam Badminton Club, Frawley Road Recreation Reserve; $5.
Multicultural seniors activities
Keysborough Multicultural Senior Citizens Inc is an over-55s club, with bingo on the first, second and fourth Tuesdays of the month, line dancing on Wednesdays, ballroom dancing lessons on Thursdays. We are in need of a few volunteers able to arrange tables and chairs on Tuesdays from 10.15am to 11.00am.
– Rowley Allan Reserve, 352 Cheltenham Road Keysborough. Tea and coffee is supplied for all activities. Membership $10. Details: Julie, 0428 561 694
Held weekly for people to learn the basic skills of concentration. Meditation may benefit people with spiritual and mental health support.
– Thursdays, 2.30pm-3pm at Dandenong Hospital’s Sacred Space, 135 David Street, Dandenong. Free, no bookings required. Details: Chuentat Kang, 0405 421 706 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For all ages, experience and abilities. Mats and other equipment available. No Booking required.
– Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9.30am-10.30am at Noble Park Community Centre, Memorial Drive, Noble Park; $5 per class or $40 for 10 classes. Details: email@example.com or 9547 5801