Parking crunch

DANDENONG workers say it’s nearly impossible to park anywhere within two kilometres of the town centre without risking a parking fine or forking out more than $1000 a year.
But City of Greater Dandenong says costs to provide parking are high and need to be recovered from those who use the service.
Several people who work in the Dandenong CBD have contacted the Star, and said there were only a few free all-day parking spots available and almost all were taken by 7.30am.
They said other spaces cost $1.20 an hour, pre-paid car parks were priced at $5.70 a day, and accused the council of revenue-raising.
But the council’s city planning, design and amenity director Jody Bosman said the Dandenong Central Activity District (CAD) was the second largest in metropolitan Melbourne.
“In areas like this, it must be expected that access to free all-day parking will be limited,” he said.
“It must also be recognised that the cost of providing and maintaining parking space is very high.
“It is recognised world-wide that these costs should be recovered from users of that parking.”
Mr Bosman said only about 42 per cent of the available parking within the CAD carried a fee, and the remaining 58 per cent was free – although much of it was time-restricted.
“Free all-day parking is available within less than one kilometre of the centre of the CAD, in areas such as the Princes Highway (west) and Pultney Street (east),” he said.
“The Dandenong CAD is also serviced by excellent public transport links including trains and buses.”

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.