DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Dandenong Thunder faces tribunal over flares

Dandenong Thunder faces tribunal over flares

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

DANDENONG Thunder soccer club will face the Football Federation Victoria tribunal after spectators fired six flares, including two rocket-propelled devices, at Sunday week’s Victorian Premier League grand final.

Two teenage girls received minor injuries from the rocket flares — one had a rocket brush her shoulder, the other sustained a burnt cheek.

YouTube footage shows a rocket fired from within the Thunder’s fans behind goals. The rocket damaged a sign on the top level near the wing and ignited among fans on ground level. Another rocket hit the grandstand’s roof and ricocheted among Thunder supporters.

The misbehaviour tarnished the club’s thrilling 2-1 premiership victory — its first — at AAMI Park.

CLICK HERE for our gallery of the VPL grand final.

‘Bozza’, a Melbourne Hearts fan at the game, tweeted that the act was “beyond stupid”: “I saw what was an incredibly dangerous and stupid act that quite easily could have led to a fatality.”

FFV spokesman Gordon Irving said it was holding a “football-related” inquiry, and believed police were running a separate investigation.

“The club will need to go to our independent tribunal. It’s very dangerous and that’s why we’re conducting an investigation.”

Last week, CCTV footage was being inspected by the venue’s staff and FFV officials to identify the offenders. The incidents came during a season of previously unblemished crowd behaviour at Thunder games this year, he said.

The club had been put on notice last year over a series of assaults, spitting incidents and referee abuse among crowds at its games. In May last year, the FFV penalised the club after its third serious incident in 14 months.

It handed down a $20,000 fine, loss of six points and two “lock-out” home games that were not open to fans.

Thunder treasurer Ronnie Mustafai said the club should not be held accountable by the FFV for “one silly supporter’s deed”.

“We’re not apologising for what happened. If we can, we will support AAMI Park, the police, the FFV to find out who it is, and deal with the individuals.”

See video of a rocket flare launched at the game at dandenongjournal.com.au.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…