THE Greater Dandenong community will come together at the free Festival in the Park on Australia Day.
It’s designed around the theme ‘a celebration of our community and the things we have in common’ and will include live music, dance, performers, market stalls and more.
– Dandenong Park, Pultney Street, Dandenong. Sunday 26 January, 3pm to 9.30pm.
Happy new year
AUSTRALIA Day is also the first day of the Chinese New Year.
Free Lunar New Year celebrations will be in full swing in Springvale’s centre, with lion dancing, firecrackers, martial arts, food stalls, rides and more.
– Buckingham Avenue, Springvale. Sunday 26 January, 9am to 9pm.
Snags for a cause
BUNNINGS in Dandenong will sell snags to support the CFA on Australia Day.
Store team members and their families and friends will cook the barbecue to say thanks to emergency service volunteers.
There’ll also be activities and games throughout the day.
– Bunnings Warehouse Dandenong, 1-5 Gladstone Road, Dandenong. Sunday 26 January. Call 8792 9500 for more information.
Flying the flag
NOBLE Park RSL will raise the Australian flag and play the national anthem at noon on Australia Day.
Refreshments and live entertainment by band Dalton Gang will follow.
– Noble Park RSL, 1128 Heatherton Road, Noble Park. Sunday 26 January, from noon. Call 9548 3750 for more information.
Heritage Hill heats up
HOT and Cool is an afternoon of live music, family friendly activities and entertainment at two Dandenong venues.
Heritage Hill’s historic rose garden is the place to picnic during the warmer months, with Orlando Combo performing jazz, swing, soul and funk there in February.
Walker Street Gallery shines during the cooler months.
– Hot and Cool at Heritage Hill, 66 McCrae Street, Dandenong. 2 February. Visit www.greaterdandenong.com for more information.
UNLIMITED rides at Luna Park are on offer through the council’s SummerFEST.
The day out is for 11 to 14-year-olds.
– Wednesday 22 January, 9.30am to 5.10pm. Cost: $18. Pick up available in Noble Park, Springvale and Dandenong. Bookings essential. Visit www.greaterdandenong.com.
Hit the pitch
LEARN cricket skills and play mini games as part of the council’s SummerFEST.
The free event’s for 12 to 25-year-olds.
– Wednesday 22 January, 4pm to 6pm. No booking necessary. Mills Reserve, 176-188 Cleeland Street, Dandenong (opposite Oasis Swimming Pool).
LEARN new recipes at this SummerFEST event for 11 to 14-year-olds.
– Thursday 23 January, 11am to 2.30pm. Cost: $5. Bookings essential. Paddy O’Donoghue Centre, 18 Buckley Street, Noble Park. Visit www.greaterdandenong.com.
Survivor mega challenge
TEAMS will battle for the best score as they’re driven to various secret locations.
This free SummerFEST activity is for 12 to 25-year-olds and includes archery, tennis, bowling and more.
– Thursday 23 January, 9.45am to 5pm. Bookings essential. Pick up available from Dandenong, Noble Park and Springvale. Visit www.greaterdandenong.com.
Beach fun day
WATER safety and fun on the sand are part of this free SummerFEST event for 12 to 25-year-olds.
– Friday 24 January, 9.30am to 3.40pm. Bookings necessary. Pick up available from Dandenong, Springvale and Noble Park. Visit www.greaterdandenong.com.
Celebrating the nation
A MUSLIM Australia dinner on Saturday 1 February will include recitation from the Holy Quran, the national anthem, speeches, awards, guest speakers and more.
– Ahmadiyya Muslim Association Victoria, 6 Leisureland Drive, Langwarrin. Saturday 1 February, 6.30pm. Book by 24 January to Aziz Umar Bhatti on 0430 615 000 or Rehmat Mohammed on 0409 932 300.