DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Council bollard plan hits bump in road

Council bollard plan hits bump in road

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

WHAT DO YOU THINK? SCROLL TO BELOW THIS STORY TO POST A COMMENT.

GREATER Dandenong councillor Angela Long has blocked a contentious council move to close part of Herbert Street during school hours.

Last Monday, the council – in a 5-5 decision split by mayor Youhorn Chea’s casting vote – approved automatic rising bollards that would block traffic between 8am and 4pm.

The bollards are designed to protect students crossing the street between Dandenong High School’s neighbouring campuses.

There have been calls for improved student safety since a year 12 student was injured on the crossing last year when struck by a driver who lost control of her car.

However, 794 of 950 surveyed residents opposed the street’s closure.

After the council meeting, Cr Long submitted a rescission motion to defer a vote on the matter until the next meeting on March 15.

Cr Long said residents would lose direct access to Princes Highway via Herbert Street if the street were closed and had already lost a bus service due to the expanding school.

The council’s preferred option had been traffic lights, but the education department had refused to fund them as it found bollards were safer.

Cr Peter Brown said traffic lights would cost the council $175,000, on top of $300,000 spent on works in Herbert Street.

Dandenong High School principal Martin Culkin said bollards were a “wonderful outcome” for student safety.

But Dandenong North Primary School principal Kevin McKay said bollards would divert more traffic around his school’s three crossings. He suggested the best option for Herbert Street was a pedestrian overpass.

Herbert Street resident Linda Meurs said she was shocked by the council’s about-turn. “We compromised. and agreed to traffic lights and narrowing of the road, but not bollards.”

Cr Long hoped Cr Yvonne Herring’s attendance at the next meeting may swing the decision, given she was absent last Monday. Cr Herring, who did not return the Weekly’s calls, voted against the street closure last year.

Digital Editions


  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He…

More News

  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall of the TOORADIN Sports Club.…

  • Akin’s day to remember

    Akin’s day to remember

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 445266 The Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 3 match between Narre North and St Mary’s was meant to be one of those games,…

  • Bloods go big with the bat

    Bloods go big with the bat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 1…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533973 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…