DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Casey CEO trial heads to October

Casey CEO trial heads to October

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

THE trial of Casey chief executive officer Mike Tyler will drag into a fourth court hearing in October.

Mr Tyler was charged in March with two breaches of the Local Government Act for allegedly failing to notify the mayor and the council of a conflict of interest in a matter for which he had authority.

The maximum penalty for each offence is about $16,900.

This morning, the case was adjourned for the third time in Dandenong Magistrates Court to allow further negotiations between legal teams for Mr Tyler and the prosecuting Local Government Investigations and Compliance Inspectorate.

The inspectorate’s prosecutor Greg Elms told magistrate Greg Connellan he had had “very encouraging discussions” with Mr Tyler’s side.

He said there would be “some value” in applying for an adjournment for a further contest mention until October 22.

Outside the court, Mr Elms said negotiations were centred on whether Mr Tyler was prepared to plea guilty.

He said Mr Tyler was unlikely to be convicted for a first offence “if he pleas guilty and remorse is shown”.

Mr Tyler, who was represented by barrister Nicholas De Young, refused a request to speak to the Journal.

His legal defence is not being funded by Casey Council.

The inspectorate has alleged Mr Tyler committed council resources and funds on a matter in which he had a personal interest without notifying the mayor or council.

Mr Tyler had allegedly failed to tell councillors that he and the council were named as respondents in a sexual harassment case, made by a former council employee. The claim was settled in a mediated hearing at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal in 2011.

Mr Tyler last year survived a councillors vote 6-5 to sack him over his handling of the case but they referred the matter to the Municipal Association of Victoria for an independent investigation.

The MAV report was referred to the inspectorate for further action, leading to the charges against Mr Tyler.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…