By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS
THE trial of Casey chief executive officer Mike Tyler will drag into a fourth court hearing in October.
Mr Tyler was charged in March with two breaches of the Local Government Act for allegedly failing to notify the mayor and the council of a conflict of interest in a matter for which he had authority.
The maximum penalty for each offence is about $16,900.
This morning, the case was adjourned for the third time in Dandenong Magistrates Court to allow further negotiations between legal teams for Mr Tyler and the prosecuting Local Government Investigations and Compliance Inspectorate.
The inspectorate’s prosecutor Greg Elms told magistrate Greg Connellan he had had “very encouraging discussions” with Mr Tyler’s side.
He said there would be “some value” in applying for an adjournment for a further contest mention until October 22.
Outside the court, Mr Elms said negotiations were centred on whether Mr Tyler was prepared to plea guilty.
He said Mr Tyler was unlikely to be convicted for a first offence “if he pleas guilty and remorse is shown”.
Mr Tyler, who was represented by barrister Nicholas De Young, refused a request to speak to the Journal.
His legal defence is not being funded by Casey Council.
The inspectorate has alleged Mr Tyler committed council resources and funds on a matter in which he had a personal interest without notifying the mayor or council.
Mr Tyler had allegedly failed to tell councillors that he and the council were named as respondents in a sexual harassment case, made by a former council employee. The claim was settled in a mediated hearing at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal in 2011.
Mr Tyler last year survived a councillors vote 6-5 to sack him over his handling of the case but they referred the matter to the Municipal Association of Victoria for an independent investigation.
The MAV report was referred to the inspectorate for further action, leading to the charges against Mr Tyler.