DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Outcry forces dump trial delay

Outcry forces dump trial delay

By NARELLE COULTER

THE operator of Lyndhurst’s toxic waste dump is under attack from Greater Dandenong Council and resident group for not consulting them over a “serious” change in its operation.
SITA Australia was forced to defend itself at a heated public meeting last Wednesday, having sought Environmental Protection Authority approval for covering the landfill with category-C toxic soil – the most benign category of hazardous material – prior to informing its community reference group (CRG) and the council.
Previously SITA was required to use a clean-fill coverage.
SITA state manager Daniel Fyfe said a planned six-month trial of the alteration would be deferred for several weeks until community consultation was complete.
“I expressed my regret to the CRG about the way the communication went. We appreciate the contribution of the members of the CRG and the council.”
Mr Fyfe said the change did not require an alteration to the licence but sought advice from the EPA about what material would pose a windbourne risk to surrounding residents and workers.
“We weren’t going to get the community all hot and bothered about this without first checking with the EPA if we could go ahead with this,” he said.
CRG member Thelma Wakelam, also a member of Residents Against Toxic Waste in the South East, said she doubted if the trial would have been deferred without the public outcry.

Digital Editions


  • 60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    60 Years of Commitment to School Reunion

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533871 The Killester College class of 1966 recently celebrated their 60th reunion, showcasing a long-term commitment to the decades…

More News

  • Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533973 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528966 Dandenong (203) was on the receiving end of a milestone moment amidst a defeat to finals-bound Melbourne (6/308) at Shepley Oval in round…

  • Noble falls painfully short

    Noble falls painfully short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531172 A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…