DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » SEABL: Raging Rangers rout Blues and Cobras

SEABL: Raging Rangers rout Blues and Cobras

By Roy Ward

DANDENONG Rangers men proved rude visitors, thrashing Frankston Blues 102-81 at Frankston Stadium in the South East Australian Basketball League on Saturday night.

The Rangers broke the game open in the second quarter with a 37-17 term, taking a lead they would hold for the rest of the game.

Import centre Daequon Montreal led the way for the Rangers with 22 points and nine rebounds while Andrew Harms put on a solid showing against his old side with 22 points.

The Rangers’ hot form continued yesterday when they thrashed Kilsyth 101-62 at Kilsyth Sports Centre with Tony Lewis leading the way scoring 26 points.

The Rangers women also took the points, beating Frankston 75-58 earlier on Saturday. Tenaya Phillips and Amelia Todhunter scored 18 points each for the Rangers.

The Rangers women lost to Kilsyth 65-51 at Kilsyth yesterday afternoon. Phillips and Todhunter again led the scoring with 10 points each as the Rangers struggled to keep pace with the Cobras.

■ The WNBL champions have re-signed the core of their championship-winning side.

The Rangers announced on Friday they had secured Canadian import centre Krista Phillips, finalising their roster for next season.

Starting five members Kath Macleod, Jenna O’Hea, Alison Downie and Steph Cumming have also re-signed along with Tegan Cunningham, Clare Papavs and Aimee Clydesdale. Former AIS teenagers Sara Blicavs and Carley Mijovic have also signed on.

Phillips, who is with the Canadian national team attempting to qualify for the London Olympics, told Rangers Media she was excited to return for the WNBL season.

“I really enjoyed myself, and improved my skills as an individual player under the coaching of Mark Wright,” she said. “I feel that although we won the championship we have just scratched the surface of our potential as a team.

“We have high expectations of nothing less than securing a spot in the championship.”

For all the latest breaking news, visit greaterdandenongweekly.com.au. Follow the Greater Dandenong Weekly on Twitter @DandenongWeekly.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…