DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Sinking feeling

Sinking feeling

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

Family feels led down by authorities after ground collapse drops woman into disused well…

SINKHOLE victim Christina Beaumont and her family want answers into how a disused well that swallowed her under a Springvale South clothesline last week was previously undetected.
The 53-year-old was hospitalised for heart-block after the ground opened up under her and she desperately tried to stay afloat for at least 20 minutes in the well’s murky, freezing waters in Olympic Drive on Tuesday morning.
Hours after she was hauled from the pit seemingly unscathed, Ms Beaumont collapsed at her Noble Park home.
Rebecca Beaumont said her mother’s heart-block – which describes a dysfunctional electric conduction system in the heart – was caused by hypothermia and “shock to the heart”.
Ms Beaumont was expected to remain in hospital until at least the weekend.
“She doesn’t remember falling,” Rebecca told the Journal last week.
“All of a sudden she was under water. She actually went down and came back up with dirt and mud in her mouth.
“Her instinct was to climb and hold on to whatever pieces of timber there were. But she was terrified that if she moved, the dirt and mud would collapse on her.”
Ms Beaumont trod water, calling for help for what would have felt an eternity.
She doubted whether the 85-year-old resident in the house would hear her cries over the washing machine’s noise.
“It just so happened that the guy living behind them went out into his backyard and heard her,” Rebecca said.
Though grateful for Ms Beaumont’s good fortune, the family wonder how no one knew of the hidden well, including the elderly couple who had lived at the house for the past 50 years.
“All they know is this area was farmland sold off around World War II. The well was obviously there and covered up really badly.”
Rebecca accused Greater Dandenong Council of “brushing their hands” by asserting it was the owner’s responsibility.
“How many other wells are there in the area? Does every single person have to dig up their back yard to check if there’s a well?”
The council’s engineering services director Julie Reid last week said the council was “unable to find any reference to a well on the property, nor does it appear on property maps”.
The Australian Institute of Conveyancing and the Law Institute of Victoria told the Journal they’d never heard of a well being reported on land title records.
Rebecca was unwilling to blame paramedics for not taking her mother straight to hospital after her rescue.
“It’s another sign that resources were stretched.”
Ambulance Victoria has launched a clinical review of the case.

Digital Editions


  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall…

More News

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528966 Dandenong (203) was on the receiving end of a milestone moment amidst a defeat to finals-bound Melbourne (6/308) at Shepley Oval in round…

  • Noble falls painfully short

    Noble falls painfully short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531172 A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…