Severely burnt in kitchen fire

A Dandenong teen suffered severe burns when he tried to move a pan of oil that caught alight.
Paramedics were called to the Langhorne Street home, about 5.40am on Monday 8 August.
An Ambulance Victoria spokesperson said the victim had burns to the neck, chest, arms and legs and was taken to The Alfred hospital in a serious condition.
Four CFA trucks attended the scene, including three from Dandenong and one from Hallam, and deemed the incident under control in less than 10 minutes.
The fire caused only minor smoke damage.
CFA District 8 operations officer Sean Kerr said the incident was a timely reminder to avoid touching cooking that has caught fire.
“Never move anything that is burning on a stove,” he said.
“Try to turn the stove off and call triple-zero.
“If you pick anything up, as this young guy has done, it’s very easy to drop it and end up wearing it.
“Most importantly, while we’re still investigating exactly how this happened, it’s likely whatever was cooking had been left unattended – it only takes moments for things to get out of hand.”