DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Cable water-skiing on the way

Cable water-skiing on the way

By Casey Neill

Bangholme’s cable water-ski centre could be open by Christmas.
An update on the Facebook page for the $5 million project said opening dates had not yet been set, but mid-December was the best case scenario.
“Worst case is late April – most likely somewhere in between,” the post said.
The Journal revealed plans for the park on Riverend Road, adjacent to the National Watersports Centre (NWSC) on Patterson River, in February last year.
The company developing the park, Activ, leased a grassed area the State Government declared surplus to its needs.
Activ managing director Ian Clark said the site would become home to lakes for water-skiing, wakeboarding, kayaking and stand-up paddle boarding.
They’ll feature skate park-like obstacles and tracks to tow users in the same way a boat would.
Greater Dandenong Council approved the project in August last year, and endorsed plans for a building permit in May.
Construction started in July and the site is now cleared, ready for heavy earth moving equipment to arrive and lake construction to start in the first week of October.
“The site is now completely fenced and nearly all of the trees have been removed,” a Melbourne Cable Park Facebook page post said on Tuesday 27 September.
“The lake construction will happen pretty quickly using a combination of scrapers and excavators.
“The cable systems ship from Germany this week, and if things stay on track we should have the cables up this side of Christmas. The obstacles are due to arrive early December.”
The underlying water table challenged the Melbourne Cable Park’s progress.
“The site was built from imported material in the 1980s for Melbourne’s bid for the 1996 Olympic Games, and there is very little documentation around the underlying condition of the clay beneath the surface,” the post said.
“The geotechnical testing showed positive results and the geotechnical guys are optimistic, but until they start the dig they will not know for sure.”
Next will be an upgrade to the power in the street feeding the site, followed by new connections to the site for power, water and sewerage.
“All of these will be happening while the earthworks are happening,” the post said.
“While we have questioned our sanity many times during this project, the light at the end of the tunnel is getting much closer, and we are doing everything possible to get everyone on the water as soon as possible.
“Good things come to those who wait and the wait will be worth it.”
The Journal reported in February last year that the park could attract 90,000 people to Bangholme each year.
Mr Clark said solar panels would power the cable systems, which each used as much electricity as two washing machines.
He said it was an environmentally sustainable way to water-ski and would open the sport to people who had previously been excluded by the need for a boat.
Mr Clark said the park would average about 250 visitors per day, and the council had restricted numbers on the site to 370 at any one time.
He said the centre would be open seven days a week and would also feature a high ropes adventure challenge, cafe and inflatable aqua fun park.
A council officer’s report said the site design respected the surrounding environment and amenity.
“The proposed facility is envisaged to host local, national and international water sports events, providing a significant direct and indirect contribution to the local economy,” it said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…