Home destroyed by car fire

Fire takes hold of the home on Lakeview Boulevard, Keysborough on 10 March. Picture: KATIE BADDACK

By Cam Lucadou-Wells

A family home in Keysborough was destroyed in minutes by fire, believed to have been sparked by an electrical fault in a car parked in the garage.

Six fire-fighting units, including four pumper trucks, were called to the fierce blaze at Lakeview Boulevard about 2.40pm on Sunday 10 March.

CFA units from Keysborough, Springvale, Keysborough, Edithvale and Frankston as well as a MFB truck battled for about 45 minutes to bring it under control.

It took a further 50 minutes to extinguish it.

By that time, the home of a family-of-four was totally destroyed.

An hour before the fire, a resident had parked his 2018 VW Golf – fitted with after-market accessories – in the garage and then went to sleep inside the home.

His parents were later alerted by a smoke alarm to smoke billowing from under the garage door.

All of the family escaped unharmed.

Witness Katie Baddack said she saw a “massive plume of smoke” as she drove past.

“It was terrible.

“From the start of the fire to the end, it went through the house in about 10 minutes.”

Vic Emergency issued an information message about the thick smoke from the blaze at the time.