Tailored for each other

Leon and Anna D''Aversa on their wedding day in 1959.

-

Leon and Anna D’Aversa travelled right across the world before they first laid eyes on each other.

The Noble Park North couple, both born in Italy, met in a tailor shop in the country town Mildura in Victoria in 1957.

Anna was working in the Italian tailor shop, which was owned by Leon’s friend.

Two years later they married.

And 60 years on, they celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary with 22 family and friends at Freccia Azzurra in Springvale on 17 March.

The couple are parents to Mark, Manuela and Justin, and grandparents to Tara, Riley, Jess, Bianca, Andre, Isabella and Zach.

“It was a wonderful afternoon with lots of laughter, eating, drinking, dancing and love,” daughter-in-law Michelle Honey said.

“We wish them many more years of love and happiness together.”

Mildura was a place of settlement common to many Italian migrants post World War II.

Anna was working multiple jobs, including the Italian tailor and rebuilding starter motors at a car-repair garage.

Leon picked grapes and vegetables while also working as a carpenter. He was also a keen boxer who rode his motorbike around town.

After marrying they moved to Collingwood with Anna’s mother and sister.

On the cusp of their third child, they moved to Clayton in 1965.

They moved to their present address in Noble Park North on New Years Eve 1979.

 

Your first stop before buying a home. View the whole picture.