DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Thunder flare-up: Girl 'only a few millimetres from her losing an eye'

Thunder flare-up: Girl 'only a few millimetres from her losing an eye'

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

A 10-YEAR-old girl was ‘‘a few millimetres’’ from losing an eye after being struck by a rocket flare fired from among Dandenong Thunder soccer club supporters at last Sunday week’s Victorian Premier League grand final.

Detective Senior Contable Jens Bertelsen, of Victoria Police’s Melbourne CIU branch, called for club supporters to reveal the culprits who threw and fired a variety of flares at the evening game at AAMI Park.

‘‘I’d like the club to assist the Victorian police. I can’t say the board know who it is but I’m certain the supporters do.

‘‘We need people to identify them to make the game safer for players and supporters.’’

The offenders face possible charges of discharging a missile and conduct endangering persons. The latter charge could potentially lead to ‘‘jail time’’.

Detective Bertelsen said the rocket flare – thought to be fired from an emergency flare gun — had travelled about 50 metres, ricocheted off a sign and struck the girl on the face.

It caused minor burns but ‘‘could have been much worse,’’ he said.

‘‘[The flares] travel at the rate of knots. They burn really hot, they’re hard to put out.

‘‘It was only a few millimetres from her losing an eye.’’

The girl’s friend, a 12-year-old girl, was struck on the shoulder by the same flare. Their two families were sitting together at the game.

Police have been unable to identify offenders from inconclusive CCTV footage at the stadium. 

They had not heard back from Dandenong Thunder since making inquiries.

The casing of the flare and two hand-flung varieties ignited that night were taken for police forensic analysis.

He said there was a ‘‘bit of tension’’ between the Thunder and its opponents Oakleigh Cannons — but no more than between other football clubs.

He said he wanted to ‘‘keep soccer family-friendly and a safe place to see the game’’.

Last Monday, the Journal reported on YouTube footage showing a rocket fired from within the Thunder’s fans behind goals. 

The rocket damaged a sign on the top level near the wing and ignited among fans on ground level. Another rocket hit the grandstand’s roof and ricocheted among Thunder supporters.

FFV spokesman Gordon Irving said it was holding a “football-related” inquiry into the firing of six flares.

He expected the Thunder will face an independent tribunal within the next two weeks.

“The club will need to go to our independent tribunal. It’s very dangerous and that’s why we’re conducting an investigation.”

The incidents came during a season of previously unblemished crowd behaviour at Thunder games this year, he said.

The club had been put on notice last year over a series of assaults, spitting incidents and referee abuse among crowds at its games. In May last year, the FFV penalised the club after its third serious incident in 14 months.

It handed down a $20,000 fine, loss of six points and two “lock-out” home games that were not open to fans.

Thunder treasurer Ronnie Mustafai last week said the club should not be held accountable by the FFV for “one silly supporter’s deed”.

“We’re not apologising for what happened. If we can, we will support AAMI Park, the police, the FFV to find out who it is, and deal with the individuals.”

Mr Mustafai took aim at AAMI Park security for failing to stop flares being smuggled into the stadium. 

Detective Bertelsen today said AAMI Park security was ‘‘trying the best they can’’ to detect flares brought inside the stadium. 

‘‘There are a number of ways to secret flares into a football match.’’

SEE: Picture gallery from the grand final.

READ: Thunder’s historic win marred by incident.

Digital Editions


  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall…

More News

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528966 Dandenong (203) was on the receiving end of a milestone moment amidst a defeat to finals-bound Melbourne (6/308) at Shepley Oval in round…

  • Noble falls painfully short

    Noble falls painfully short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531172 A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…