DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Bollard battle rages over Herbert Street

Bollard battle rages over Herbert Street

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

WHAT DO YOU THINK? SCROLL TO BELOW THIS STORY TO POST A COMMENT.

LIVID Dandenong residents have vowed to continue the fight against Greater Dandenong Council’s plan to close Herbert Street to traffic during school hours.

Resident Tony Meurs – one of 794 residents who voted against the street’s closure in a council survey last year – said “we will do whatever it takes” to reverse the council’s decision.

Before a council meeting last Tuesday, residents were expecting the city to scrap its plan for automatic rising bollards and install pedestrian traffic lights instead.

Last month, the council – in a 5-5 decision split by mayor Youhorn Chea’s casting vote – approved the bollards.

The decision was then blocked by Cr Angela Long, who brought a rescission motion to defer a vote on the matter until last Tuesday.

Cr Yvonne Herring, who was absent for last month’s vote, was expected to help vote down the bollards 6-5 at the latest meeting.

But the strategy failed despite Cr Herring’s presence. Cr Maria Sampey changed her mind and voted against Cr Long’s motion, creating a majority for the bollards.

There have been calls for improved student safety in Herbert Street since a year 12 Dandenong High student was injured on the crossing last year when struck by a driver who lost control of her car.

As a result of a trial closure of the street, residents lost a local bus service. They argue they will also lose direct vehicle access to Princes Highway and that more traffic will be diverted to the nearby Dandenong North Primary School.

“This is more than just a neighbour or two against it. There’s close to 1000 people writing into council about it,” Mr Meurs said.

Cr Peter Brown said the arguments that the primary school would be adversely affected were a “furphy”.

“There are a number of alternative routes,” he said. “The end result will be a major improvement to residents’ amenity because there will be less traffic in the area.”

He said a critical factor in closing off the street was that students had to cross between the high school’s campuses throughout the day.

The bollards will be funded by the education department. The traffic lights option, which isn’t supported by the department, would cost the council $175,000.

Digital Editions


  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He…

More News

  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall of the TOORADIN Sports Club.…

  • Akin’s day to remember

    Akin’s day to remember

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 445266 The Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 3 match between Narre North and St Mary’s was meant to be one of those games,…

  • Bloods go big with the bat

    Bloods go big with the bat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 1…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533973 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…