DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » SFL: It's time: Dingoes look to up the ante

SFL: It's time: Dingoes look to up the ante

By ROY WARD

NO matter who runs out for Dingley this Southern Football League division 1 season, one this is certain.

The Dingoes are expected to be among the top teams in the competition.

After a couple of promising seasons, the young Dingoes have some significant expectations on them in 2013 and, with some promising signings to boot, coach Shane Morwood wants his side to improve on their five-point elimination final loss in the previous season.

“What we need is to get better and we need to be successful and beat those top teams,” he said.

“We lost out by a small margin in the finals last year. We got a win and a loss against St Paul’s. We beat Cheltenham and were competitive against East Brighton and Chelsea Heights, so we’re not far off. With an influx of new players, the expectation is really a lot higher on us this year than in other years. It’s time to act.”

What remains uncertain for the Dingoes is how much impact recruits Luke Forrest (Alberton FNL) and Tom Dureau (Port Melbourne VFL) will have on the side.

Both players got little game time during the preseason. Their arrival offsets the losses of Daniel Turcarelli (EFL), Ben Arnold (Alberton FNL) and Shane Gotsch. Jack Clausen looks likely to spend part or all of the year with VFL club Frankston Dolphins.

Morwood said Clausen would play with the Dingoes if not selected for the Dolphins.

“We’re still a little bit unsure because we lost a couple of players from last season and picked up four or maybe five players, but they haven’t played too much just yet.

“Forrest is a 190-centimetre player who could play at either end or in the ruck for us. Dureau did his hamstring about three weeks ago right before our first practice match, so we haven’t seen him play as yet, but we expect him to be quite good.

“Things are going all right so far and we look to be in a good position.

“Our young kids look to have taken another step since the end of last season.”

The Dingoes open their season against East Malvern at Souter Oval at 2pm this Saturday.

What do you think? Post a comment below.

For all the latest breaking news, stay with this website. Also, follow the Weekly  at facebook.com/dandenongjournal or on Twitter  @DandyJournal.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…