DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Dandenong Thunder faces tribunal over flares

Dandenong Thunder faces tribunal over flares

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

DANDENONG Thunder soccer club will face the Football Federation Victoria tribunal after spectators fired six flares, including two rocket-propelled devices, at Sunday week’s Victorian Premier League grand final.

Two teenage girls received minor injuries from the rocket flares — one had a rocket brush her shoulder, the other sustained a burnt cheek.

YouTube footage shows a rocket fired from within the Thunder’s fans behind goals. The rocket damaged a sign on the top level near the wing and ignited among fans on ground level. Another rocket hit the grandstand’s roof and ricocheted among Thunder supporters.

The misbehaviour tarnished the club’s thrilling 2-1 premiership victory — its first — at AAMI Park.

CLICK HERE for our gallery of the VPL grand final.

‘Bozza’, a Melbourne Hearts fan at the game, tweeted that the act was “beyond stupid”: “I saw what was an incredibly dangerous and stupid act that quite easily could have led to a fatality.”

FFV spokesman Gordon Irving said it was holding a “football-related” inquiry, and believed police were running a separate investigation.

“The club will need to go to our independent tribunal. It’s very dangerous and that’s why we’re conducting an investigation.”

Last week, CCTV footage was being inspected by the venue’s staff and FFV officials to identify the offenders. The incidents came during a season of previously unblemished crowd behaviour at Thunder games this year, he said.

The club had been put on notice last year over a series of assaults, spitting incidents and referee abuse among crowds at its games. In May last year, the FFV penalised the club after its third serious incident in 14 months.

It handed down a $20,000 fine, loss of six points and two “lock-out” home games that were not open to fans.

Thunder treasurer Ronnie Mustafai said the club should not be held accountable by the FFV for “one silly supporter’s deed”.

“We’re not apologising for what happened. If we can, we will support AAMI Park, the police, the FFV to find out who it is, and deal with the individuals.”

See video of a rocket flare launched at the game at dandenongjournal.com.au.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Pride of Holden roars on

    Pride of Holden roars on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534613 Brett Crawley is a proud member of Holden’s loyal legion displaying their prize classic cars in Dandenong next month. The Narre Warren North…

  • Truck company fined for pellets spillage

    Truck company fined for pellets spillage

    A major transport company, Toll Transport Pty Ltd, has been fined $4070 after its poorly loaded truck poured a blizzard of plastic pellets onto Keysborough streets. Hundreds of litres of…

  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He was escorted down Thomas Street…

  • Why Volunteer? Because It Might Save You Too.

    Why Volunteer? Because It Might Save You Too.

    Last night, I had the honour of being invited to the Cranbourne Chamber of Commerce for a speed business networking event. What struck me most wasn’t the business cards or…

  • Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide gambling reform through MAV

    The City of Casey has unanimously voted to submit a notice of motion to Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), calling on the State Government to consider reforms to reduce impacts…