DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Spray can ignited

Spray can ignited

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

A MAN accused of threatening his Dandenong South ex-partner by lighting the spray from an aerosol can near her face has been refused bail.
The man had been on appeal bail at the time after being sentenced to four months’ jail on 24 August for family violence intervention order breaches against the victim.
Police informant Senior Constable Nathaniel Gilmore told Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on Monday (31 August) that the man was found intoxicated outside the victim’s home one evening last week.
He had been banned under an intervention order from being within 200 metres of the victim’s address if he was alcohol affected.
Sen Const Gilmore said the accused admitted drinking three bottles of 18 per cent alcohol “shaken premium smoothie mix”.
The man told police he was accustomed to drinking a bottle of bourbon a day.
Earlier that day at 1am, the man allegedly visited the address and asked the victim to accompany him to a Dandenong bottle shop to buy two bottles of alcohol.
After initially asking him to leave, she complied and drank with him on the banks of Dandenong Creek.
The court was told the man became frustrated with his ex-partner and punched the right side of her head.
She was followed home by him despite telling the man to leave.
At her home, he picked up an aerosol can and lit a flame near her face.
The victim alleged she could feel heat from the fire but was protected from injury by her cap.
The man then left and was arrested by police when he returned that evening.
Sen Const Gilmore said the man’s mother was happy to have him stay with her in Mulgrave but “it’s her belief that … there’s no doubt he’d commit further offences”.
He told the court the man took advantage of the victim’s acquired brain injury.
Defence lawyer Bernard Keating conceded his client had a “significant history” of family violence towards the victim.
Mr Keating said there was evidence the man was drunk near the victim’s home but denied the other allegations – which were similar to others yet to be heard at Ringwood Magistrates’ Court.
“He denies he was with the victim at all. There doesn’t seem to be any supportive evidence for those allegations.”
Magistrate Jack Vandersteen noted the man had previously breached bail, community corrections and intervention orders.
“I can’t see anything here at all that he’s complied with.”
Mr Vandersteen imposed a full intervention order and refused bail because of the man’s persistent breaching of intervention orders against the victim “not over days but over years”.
The man was remanded in custody to appear at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court on 21 September.

Digital Editions


  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall…

More News

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528966 Dandenong (203) was on the receiving end of a milestone moment amidst a defeat to finals-bound Melbourne (6/308) at Shepley Oval in round…

  • Noble falls painfully short

    Noble falls painfully short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531172 A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…