DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Club cleared of brawl charge

Club cleared of brawl charge

By Shaun Inguanzo
A TRIBUNAL has cleared Dandenong Thunder Soccer Club of sparking a brawl with North Geelong Warriors that prematurely ended a league match in May.
Victoria’s peak soccer body, Football Federation Victoria, followed up the verdict with praise for Thunder’s security measures.
A match on Saturday, 13 May, under lights at George Andrews Reserve, Dandenong South, was called to an end by the referee after a North Geelong player allegedly grabbed a spectator by the throat, sparking the brawl.
A tribunal hearing last week cleared Dandenong Thunder of its only charge, failing to control spectators, after the tribunal found the North Geelong guilty of man-handling.
Football Federation Victoria operations manager Tony Persoglia said North Geelong was fined $1000 and did not lodge an appeal within the 36-hour time frame it was permitted.
Mr Persoglia said he was impressed by both teams’ cooperation during the hearing, and he praised Dandenong Thunder’s level of security at the match, despite the brawl.
“I give credit to Dandenong Thunder in terms of its security measures – they can’t be questioned,” he said.
“As a club with a newly committed group of people on board. it has been very pro-active this season by getting tighter on security.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…