DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Arrest sweep as police clean up hoon streets

Arrest sweep as police clean up hoon streets

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

POLICE have put the brakes on people involved in illegal hoon meets after three days of raids in Melbourne’s south-east and north on 3, 4 and 5 February.
A total of 26 people were arrested and 17 cars seized during the raids, including in Dandenong, Cranbourne and Narre Warren.
Among those charged were a 20-year-old Dandenong man, a 23-year-old Noble Park man, an 18-year-old Cranbourne man, and 18-year-old Cranbourne East man, a 23-year-old Clyde North man, a 22-year-old Hampton Park man, a 20-year-old Narre Warren man, a 24-year-old Narre Warren South man and a 39-year-old Narre Warren man.
Eighteen cars were also seized.
Inspector Brian Sharp, who headed Greater Dandenong police’s involvement in the raids, said investigations were still ongoing into the so-called South East Skids meets.
“We’re not finished yet,” he said – with the investigation to include organisers and spectators.
Inspector Bruce Kitchen of Greater Dandenong police said the arrests should have a “dramatic effect” on the rising number of hoon meets.
“Hopefully other potential hoons will take heed of the message.”
Assistant Commissioner Robert Hill said most of those arrested were aged between 18 and 25 and did not have a criminal history.
Others were involved in Northern Skids meets in Melbourne’s north.
Mr Hill said the two groups would hold joint meetings, lining up like a drag meeting and performing burnouts in front of hundreds of spectators in industrial estates.
The cars would then leave “in the same erratic way” he said.
Mr Hill told of two police officers being “beset” by crowds at a recent meet of 200 cars and 500 people in Melbourne’s south.
The crowds “en masse” and with “no regard for authority” threw rocks at police, he said.
“Their attitude changed markedly since they were arrested today.”
He said social media had been an “invaluable investigatory tool” for police who had been surveying the hoons since Operation Regarder was set up in November.
“They brag about their behaviour online and our message to them is we see you, we’ll find you, we’ll charge you and seize your car.
“Their arrogance, their poor attitude, their lack of concern for themselves and others, their brazenness has brought themselves undone.”
Those arrested face charges of conduct endangering life, conduct endangering serious injury, dangerous driving, careless driving, improper control of a vehicle and emitting excessive smoke and noise from a vehicle.
They face potential jail terms of up to 10 years, loss of licence and having their vehicles crushed or sold off by the state.
Many will be bailed, subject to a night curfew and banned from attending hoon meets.
Mr Hill warned that more arrests could follow and that event organisers who did not drive at the meets were not immune from charges.
“These irresponsible people, including the event organisers and drivers, place their lives and the lives of others at risk,” he said.
“We’ve recently seen the tragic consequences of hoon driving where two lives were lost but, unfortunately, the reckless driving behaviour continues to plague our suburbs.”
All those arrested were bailed to appear at Dandenong Magistrates’ Court in May.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Solar fire at Dandenong South warehouse

    Solar fire at Dandenong South warehouse

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534665 Fire crews were on scene at a solar fire at an industrial warehouse in Dandenong South on 13 February. Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV)…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Flowing with life and strength

    Flowing with life and strength

    We can find ourselves sometimes in fear and anxiety for many reasons. The cause might be the death of a loved one, work stress or ongoing worry about broken relationships,…

  • Looking Back

    Looking Back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 219034 100 years ago 18 February 1926 GIPPSLAND FIRES On Sunday afternoon, the ringing of the fire bell at Dandenong startled residents, many of…

  • What’s On

    What’s On

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 259559 Kwabo dance workshop Join Gracieuse Amah from Kwabo Events in a Kwabo (welcome) dance workshop. Congolese rhythms, movement and cultural expression while learning…