DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Duplicated Abbotts Road opens

Duplicated Abbotts Road opens

By Casey Neill

THE $5.5 million Abbotts Road duplication is officially open.
Politicians celebrated the project’s completion at the Dandenong South site on Tuesday 6 September.
Federal and local government contributed cash to double the major south-east freight link between Park Drive and Remington Drive and the Eumemmering Creek bridge.
Greater Dandenong Mayor Heang Tak said Dandenong South was home to many distribution centres, suppliers and stores.
“It is an important destination for workers across the region,” he said.
“Council has also worked with VicRoads among other contractors to preserve significant trees along Abbotts Road and care was taken during the design and construction of the project to preserve Aboriginal cultural heritage.”
Federal Infrastructure and Transport Minister Darren Chester said the south-east was growing strongly, and it was important for infrastructure to keep pace with population and economic activity.
“This project has improved access in and out of Dandenong South’s industrial area while also providing a safer journey for all users by providing additional lanes and dedicated cycle and pedestrian areas,” he said.
Supermarket chain Aldi has a warehouse on Produce Drive and contributed $280,000 to a new road link to Abbotts Road.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533973 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528966 Dandenong (203) was on the receiving end of a milestone moment amidst a defeat to finals-bound Melbourne (6/308) at Shepley Oval in round…

  • Noble falls painfully short

    Noble falls painfully short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531172 A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…