DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Mum faces jail for Medicare fraud

Mum faces jail for Medicare fraud

A Melbourne mother with a history for medical fraud will go to jail after scamming $180,000 from Medicare, but her sentence has been delayed until a decision on whether her baby can go with her.

Sarah Ward, 31, was working as a receptionist at the Melbourne Digestive Clinic in Noble Park when she began putting through hundreds of dodgy Medicare claims for herself and her husband.

She made up to 80 claims a day between March 2019 and when she was caught in April 2020.

Over the year she submitted 781 false Medicare patient claims in her own name and 828 in the name of her husband before the clinic’s accountants tipped off Medicare and authorities.

Ward pleaded guilty to a single charge of obtaining a financial advantage by deception from a commonwealth entity.

But the single charge doesn’t take away the seriousness, especially with a prior conviction for a $29,000 fraud against a hospital, County Court Judge Geoff Chettle said on Wednesday.

“This is really 1600 crimes committed over the course of a year … on a daily basis she was rorting the system,” he said.

As part of her job Ward had access to the Medicare patient claims system and used that to make false claims for consultations with the two doctors who supervised her at the clinic.

The total claims amounted to $181,121.75 which was paid into bank accounts for her and her husband.

It was a “robbery of the Australian community”, prosecutor Adam Murphy said.

While Ward’s lawyer Michael Allen said she was remorseful for her actions, Judge Chettle pointed to a psychiatric report which included “pseudo-justification of her really being entitled to take this money because they were working too hard”.

In 2015 Ward dishonestly obtained $29,000 in false refunds on behalf of patients at Cabrini Hospital, where she had then worked.

Mr Allen said Ward had been working at another medical practice between the recent offending and going on maternity leave before the birth of her second child in February last year.

They weren’t aware of her fraud, he confirmed.

“That’s problematic,” the judge replied.

Ward has repaid the money in full, taking $100,000 from a mortgage offset account and selling a $70,000 car. She also borrowed money from her mother.

Mr Allen said Ward’s family would suffer some hardship as a result of her imprisonment, which he conceded was necessary.

Ward has two children, including a breastfeeding infant who it’s hoped will be able to go into custody with her as part of Corrections Victoria’s living with mum program.

A decision on her eligibility cannot be made until mid-February.

Judge Chettle noted she would have a harder time in custody being separated from her older child, and the younger if that application is not approved, but put the blame squarely on her.

“She did that to her family,” he said.

Ward, who is on bail, will be sentenced on March 15.

Digital Editions


More News

  • End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    End is nigh for Hallam Rd tip

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 348748 The controversial Hallam Road landfill in Hampton Park will reportedly be closed to municipal waste as soon as 30 June 2027 – but…

  • ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    ‘Un-Australian’: Community leaders condemn ‘no good Muslims’ speech

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 362841 South East leaders have condemned recent public remarks by One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, suggesting there are “no good Muslims.” “Such statements are…

  • MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    MotoGP to leave Phillip Island, last race this year

    After almost three decades, there will no longer be a great procession of motorcycles and cars heading south every October, as the MotoGP will move from Phillip Island after this…

  • Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    Man hospitalised after carpark stabbing

    A 20-year-old man was left fighting for life after being allegedly stabbed by an unknown group of males in a Noble Park carpark. Greater Dandenong CIU detectives are investigating the…

  • Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Animal shelters offer $50 to boost cat adoption

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 220850 Animal shelters have joined forces to combat decreased adoption rates ahead of an already “demanding” cat and kitten season. The state-wide, ‘Mission Adoptable’,…