DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Tyler case goes to fourth hearing

Tyler case goes to fourth hearing

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

THE trial of City of Casey chief executive officer Mike Tyler will drag into a fourth court hearing in October.
Mr Tyler was charged in March with two breaches of the Local Government Act for allegedly failing to notify the mayor and the council of a conflict of interest in a matter for which he had authority.
The maximum penalty for each offence is about $16,900.
This morning, the case was adjourned for the third time in the Dandenong Magistrates’ Court to allow further negotiations between legal teams for Mr Tyler and the prosecuting Local Government Investigations and Compliance Inspectorate.
The inspectorate’s prosecutor Greg Elms told Magistrate Greg Connellan he’d had “very encouraging discussions” with Mr Tyler’s side.
He said there would be “some value” in applying for an adjournment for a further contest mention until October 22.
Outside the court, Mr Elms said negotiations were centred on whether Mr Tyler was prepared to plead guilty.
He said Mr Tyler was unlikely to be convicted for a first offence “if he pleads guilty and remorse is shown”.
Mr Tyler, who was represented by barrister Nicholas De Young, refused a request to speak to the press.
His legal defence is not being funded by Casey Council.
The inspectorate has alleged Mr Tyler committed council resources and funds on a matter in which he had a personal interest without notifying the mayor or council.
Mr Tyler had allegedly failed to tell councillors that he and the council were named as respondents in a sexual harassment case, made by a former council employee. The claim was settled in a mediated hearing at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal in 2011.
Mr Tyler last year survived a council vote 6-5 to sack him over his handling of the case but councillors referred the matter to the Municipal Association of Victoria for an independent investigation.
The MAV report was referred to the inspectorate for further action, leading to the charges against Mr Tyler.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Solar fire at Dandenong South warehouse

    Solar fire at Dandenong South warehouse

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534665 Fire crews were on scene at a solar fire at an industrial warehouse in Dandenong South on 13 February. Fire Rescue Victoria (FRV)…

  • Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Teen pedestrian critically injured in Narre Warren South

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534667 A 16-year-old boy was fighting for life after being struck by a car on Pound Road, Narre Warren South on Friday 13 February.…

  • Flowing with life and strength

    Flowing with life and strength

    We can find ourselves sometimes in fear and anxiety for many reasons. The cause might be the death of a loved one, work stress or ongoing worry about broken relationships,…

  • Looking Back

    Looking Back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 219034 100 years ago 18 February 1926 GIPPSLAND FIRES On Sunday afternoon, the ringing of the fire bell at Dandenong startled residents, many of…

  • What’s On

    What’s On

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 259559 Kwabo dance workshop Join Gracieuse Amah from Kwabo Events in a Kwabo (welcome) dance workshop. Congolese rhythms, movement and cultural expression while learning…