DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Mum faces jail for Medicare fraud

Mum faces jail for Medicare fraud

A Melbourne mother with a history for medical fraud will go to jail after scamming $180,000 from Medicare, but her sentence has been delayed until a decision on whether her baby can go with her.

Sarah Ward, 31, was working as a receptionist at the Melbourne Digestive Clinic in Noble Park when she began putting through hundreds of dodgy Medicare claims for herself and her husband.

She made up to 80 claims a day between March 2019 and when she was caught in April 2020.

Over the year she submitted 781 false Medicare patient claims in her own name and 828 in the name of her husband before the clinic’s accountants tipped off Medicare and authorities.

Ward pleaded guilty to a single charge of obtaining a financial advantage by deception from a commonwealth entity.

But the single charge doesn’t take away the seriousness, especially with a prior conviction for a $29,000 fraud against a hospital, County Court Judge Geoff Chettle said on Wednesday.

“This is really 1600 crimes committed over the course of a year … on a daily basis she was rorting the system,” he said.

As part of her job Ward had access to the Medicare patient claims system and used that to make false claims for consultations with the two doctors who supervised her at the clinic.

The total claims amounted to $181,121.75 which was paid into bank accounts for her and her husband.

It was a “robbery of the Australian community”, prosecutor Adam Murphy said.

While Ward’s lawyer Michael Allen said she was remorseful for her actions, Judge Chettle pointed to a psychiatric report which included “pseudo-justification of her really being entitled to take this money because they were working too hard”.

In 2015 Ward dishonestly obtained $29,000 in false refunds on behalf of patients at Cabrini Hospital, where she had then worked.

Mr Allen said Ward had been working at another medical practice between the recent offending and going on maternity leave before the birth of her second child in February last year.

They weren’t aware of her fraud, he confirmed.

“That’s problematic,” the judge replied.

Ward has repaid the money in full, taking $100,000 from a mortgage offset account and selling a $70,000 car. She also borrowed money from her mother.

Mr Allen said Ward’s family would suffer some hardship as a result of her imprisonment, which he conceded was necessary.

Ward has two children, including a breastfeeding infant who it’s hoped will be able to go into custody with her as part of Corrections Victoria’s living with mum program.

A decision on her eligibility cannot be made until mid-February.

Judge Chettle noted she would have a harder time in custody being separated from her older child, and the younger if that application is not approved, but put the blame squarely on her.

“She did that to her family,” he said.

Ward, who is on bail, will be sentenced on March 15.

Digital Editions


  • Waste-to-energy submissions open

    Waste-to-energy submissions open

    Public submissions have opened for the upcoming Victorian Parliamentary inquiry into the state’s push for waste-to-energy plants. South-Eastern Metropolitan MP Rachel Payne, who pushed for…

More News

  • Powers, premiers and poles

    Powers, premiers and poles

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 530014 BLAIR: Gday boys, we are back for another week of Let’s Talk Sport and we have plenty happening, so let’s get into it.…

  • Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Hampton Park waste plan hits home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 470334 Residents are still seeking answers over an advanced-waste plan that’s extending the life of waste facilities near Hampton Park homes, says Casey Residents…

  • Casey Pushes statewide green streets expansion through MAV

    Casey Pushes statewide green streets expansion through MAV

    As part of the City of Casey’s membership with the Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), the council will be calling on a Green Streets initiative at the State Council meetings…

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • Looking Back

    Looking Back

    100 years ago 25 February 1926 Out of his class At the Dandenong Court, Samuel Carrick was charged with travelling on the railways between Dandenong and Tooradin in the first-class…

  • Shine light in the darkness

    Shine light in the darkness

    May light shine through the darkness for each of us this year. As I reflect on the many meanings of light, I find that there are many positive meanings that…

  • What’s On

    What’s On

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 396196 Mission Adoptable Australian Animal Protection Society is cutting fees for cuts and kittens to just $50 this weekend. A nationwide initiative to find…

  • Pride of Holden roars on

    Pride of Holden roars on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534613 Brett Crawley is a proud member of Holden’s loyal legion displaying their prize classic cars in Dandenong next month. The Narre Warren North…

  • Truck company fined for pellets spillage

    Truck company fined for pellets spillage

    A major transport company, Toll Transport Pty Ltd, has been fined $4070 after its poorly loaded truck poured a blizzard of plastic pellets onto Keysborough streets. Hundreds of litres of…

  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He was escorted down Thomas Street…