DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Support asylum seekers motion passed

Support asylum seekers motion passed

By Casey Neill

Greater Dandenong asylum seekers could be “rendered destitute” without more help to cope with the ‘lodge or leave’ deadline, says Councillor Roz Blades.
At the Tuesday 13 June council meeting, Cr Blades successfully moved that the council write to the state and federal governments and local members to advocate for increased support for asylum seekers.
Cr Blades’ motion followed a Federal Government announcement on 21 May that illegal maritime arrivals (IMA) must lodge an application for a three-year Temporary Protection Visa (TPV) or a five-year Safe Haven Enterprise Visa (SHEV) before 1 October.
Those who miss the deadline will have their income support cut off, will not have another chance to lodge an application and will be subject to the lengthy deportation process.
Cr Blades said agencies and volunteer groups expressed distress at the announcement at a recent meeting of the council’s Asylum Seeker and Refugee Advisory Committee.
Her motion said that more than 3000 asylum seekers lived in Greater Dandenong.
“The immediate concern is accessibility of legal aid and migration advice for hundreds of people who may need assistance with lodging a range of complex applications and forms,” the motion said.
“It is anticipated that an increased number of people in the community will be in need of material aid and at risk of destitution.”
Cr Blades said the motion was simply advocating support for asylum seekers.
“That’s the role of local government,” she said.
Cr Tim Dark opposed the motion, stating: “There has been no council report. There hasn’t been any real investigation; there hasn’t been any real consultation.”
“It really is jumping on what’s potentially a non-existent issue,” he said.
Cr Dark said lodge or leave was about illegal maritime arrivals proving they were genuine and owed protection by Australia.
He said those affected had refused or failed to present a case for asylum, and many had been here for five years.
“The first thing you would do is complete the paperwork,“ he said.
Cr Heang Tak, an immigration lawyer, hit back.
“These people have fled by boat,” he said.
“You expect people to bring passport and birth certificates with them?
“That is out of touch.”
Cr Youhorn Chea said that as a Cambodian refugee, he fled without proof of his qualifications or “even our marriage certificate”.
“We just wanted to survive,” he said.
Cr Sean O’Reilly said he could see merit in both sides of the debate.
“How long does the government give them to lodge their paperwork?” he said.
“You do need some sort of deadline.
“I will be voting in support of the motion and the reason is I believe the amount of notice given to these people to lodge their paperwork is too short.
“You expect there’ll be a glut of people requiring legal support.”

Digital Editions


More News

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…