DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Community sport called off

Community sport called off

All community sport was cancelled on the weekend in Victoria with the state once again plunged into a lockdown.

From 11.59pm on Friday 12 February, until 11.59pm on Wednesday 17 February, the state moved to a “circuit breaker action” to combat the spread of Covid-19 after an outbreak at the Holiday Inn in Melbourne.

“By limiting our movement, we limit the potential spread of the virus,” a statement on Friday from Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews read.

“And by going hard and going early – we’re giving ourselves every opportunity to get in front of this.”

It means that restrictions imposed were similar to last year’s lockdown, which saw all of winter sport cancelled for the year.

All indoor physical recreation and sport, as well as outdoor physical recreation and sport will be closed until 17 February, with only four permitted reasons to leave home: shopping for necessary goods, caregiving or compassionate reasons, essential work or education, and exercise.

The announcement will included local competitions such as the Victorian Premier Cricket, Dandenong District Cricket Association, and the Victorian Sub-District Cricket Association.

DDCA secretary John Brooks told clubs on Friday that the association will wait for further advice from Cricket Victoria and the State Government about any resumption of play.

Any decision regarding the possible replay of matches will not be made until later (this) week,” he said.

“Please stay safe and abide by all the rules.”

Victorian Premier Cricket’s Will Rice also updated clubs about the competition’s plans for this weekend.

“This round will be abandoned and points will be shared between all competing teams,” he said.

“Training will not be able to take place until Wednesday 17 February at 11.59pm

“At this stage, plans are still in place for the remainder of the fixtured games scheduled from 20 February 2021, to be held subject to the updates from the Victorian State Government.”

These rules also includes cancellation of all cricket training until at least Thursday.

Depending on how the five-day lockdown goes, it won’t be known until later this week whether community sport will be given the green light to resume for the weekend of Saturday 21 and Sunday 22 February.

Across other sports, Round 2 of the NAB League Girls was cancelled due to the lockdown, Basketball Victoria also cancelled all competitions across the weekend, and Football Victoria also cancelled all training and matches over the weekend.

Digital Editions


  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall…

More News

  • Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

    An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The 27-year-old faces more than 60…

  • Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Dandenong downed by impressive VPC debutant century

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528966 Dandenong (203) was on the receiving end of a milestone moment amidst a defeat to finals-bound Melbourne (6/308) at Shepley Oval in round…

  • Noble falls painfully short

    Noble falls painfully short

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531172 A shakeup in the finals mix came in the form of a Croydon (210) upset as Noble Park (146) faltered at home in…

  • Critical nursery in need of a home

    Critical nursery in need of a home

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 532813 A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the…

  • Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three arrested following alleged stabbing in Narre Warren

    Three teenage boys were arrested last week following an alleged stabbing in Narre Warren. Police believe the altercation took place between a group of boys at a shopping centre on…

  • Galloping into a New Year with style

    Galloping into a New Year with style

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 531866 Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More…

  • Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 403433 February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for…

  • Funding call to further combat racism

    Funding call to further combat racism

    An anti-racism support network has provided its first insights after a year of documenting racism across the state, the first of its kind in Australia. The network, established in 2025…

  • Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Socialists stake their claims for State Parliament

    Victorian Socialists has revealed its candidates for the relatively safe Labor seats, Dandenong and Mulgrave in the upcoming state election. Both young candidates chant calls for change, saying the two…

  • A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A spot of kindness led by young local leaders

    A Casey-based Girl Guides group dedicated to empowering girls and young women has delivered a heartfelt show of support to local frontline volunteers. Narre Warren North Girl Guides recently visited…