DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Springvale charity dumping cut under watchful eye

Springvale charity dumping cut under watchful eye

By CAMERON LUCADOU-WELLS

A GREATER Dandenong Council surveillance operation has put a dent in rubbish dumping at a Springvale charity store.

Council patrols during the Easter weekend had found “significantly lower levels of dumping” than last year, Greater Dandenong city planning, design and amenity director Jody Bosman said.

Last September, the council caught 10 rubbish dumpers and scavengers outside the store. On the Easter weekend, no fines were handed out.

Dumping had cost the store $30,000 a year to dispose of the rubbish.

It often included household waste, builders’ rubbish, damaged couches, soiled mattresses and broken appliances.

Mr Bosman said “no dumping” signs installed at the site during Easter were having a positive impact.

“On the basis of that success, the council is ordering more signage for both that site and other locations, such as Dandenong.”

He said the council would form alliances with other charity stores, taking advantage of a $500,000 state government pilot program for op-shop CCTV, signs, sensor lighting and fencing.

Among the 38 stores to get the funding — revealed by the Journal last September — were a Vinnies store and a Salvos store in Lonsdale Street, Dandenong.

Environment Minister Ryan Smith said the program would help charities stop illegal dumping, which cost them about $1.8 million a year.

“Too often old TVs, couches, mattresses and other unusable, unwanted goods are dumped outside or adjacent to charity stores,” Mr Smith said. “Many of these goods can’t be resold and must be sent to landfill, costing charities and the community money and time.”

What do you think? Post a comment below.

For all the latest breaking news, stay with this website. Also, follow the Weekly  at facebook.com/dandenongjournal or on Twitter  @DandyJournal.

Digital Editions


  • PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

    Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He…

More News

  • Seagulls legends honoured

    Seagulls legends honoured

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533225 **One of the most awesome things you’ll see in local sport is the new mural on the wall of the TOORADIN Sports Club.…

  • Akin’s day to remember

    Akin’s day to remember

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 445266 The Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 3 match between Narre North and St Mary’s was meant to be one of those games,…

  • Bloods go big with the bat

    Bloods go big with the bat

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533976 Springvale South has the runs on the board against Buckley Ridges after day one of the Dandenong District Cricket Association (DDCA) Turf 1…

  • Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Suspicious fire in Dandenong under investigation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 528279 Victoria Police are investigating a suspicious fire in Dandenong. Fire Rescue Victoria responded to an incident on Robinson St in Dandenong, Monday evening…

  • Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Bakers in the box seat, HSD requiring wickets on day two

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533973 Silverton would require a miracle to make finals, but that hasn’t stopped the Bakers from posting a strong score on day one against…