DANDENONG STAR JOURNAL
Home » Parking meters set for a tweak

Parking meters set for a tweak

By CAM LUCADOU-WELLS

GREATER Dandenong Council is considering “tweaks” to its controversial Springvale parking meters, less than three months since their installation.
The parking meters, which have been the target of vandals and have been fiercely criticised by trader group Springvale Asian Business Association, have been blamed for drivers deserting Warwick Avenue car park.
At a council meeting on 25 January, councillor Youhorn Chea called for a change of strategy, such as reducing the $1.20-an-hour charge in the “mostly empty” car park as well as Buckingham, Balmoral and Windsor avenues.
The meter charge was higher than nearby private car parks as cheap as 60 cents an hour.
“No one goes to Springvale,” Cr Chea said.
“We should be looking at a strategy to support the small businesspeople in Springvale.”
Cr Roz Blades told the meeting that traders on Springvale Road’s eastside were particularly affected, noting a recent influx of customers at Springvale South shopping centre several kilometres away.
Engineering director Julie Reid told the meeting that the council would survey the Warwick Avenue car park’s use once Springvale Rise Primary School re-opens.
The survey was being brought forward several months ahead of schedule, Ms Reid said.
Its results were expected by the end of March.
Although Cr Sean O’Reilly said he supported the meters, he said that the council should make “tactical tweaking” to the system prior to the survey’s conclusions.
He said the meters could potentially enhance or damage local business, requiring the council to be more “nimble” in its response.
The “obviously under-utilised” Warwick Street car park was an “obvious” target for tweaks, he said.
In justifying the meters last year, the council said that meters would help decongest street parking which can be up to 97 per cent full on Friday and Saturday peak times.
Councillors also reported continuing problems with broken ticket machines and boom gates at the council’s multi-deck No.8 car park in Balmoral Avenue.
Cr O’Reilly recounted an incident in which he and eight other drivers were stuck behind the closed exit boom gate, with emergency calls to the car park operator going unanswered.
“There’s just one way in and one way out. This needs to be looked at as a priority.”
City development director Jody Bosman said the council was in talks with the machine and boom gate suppliers.
There was a possibility of replacing the technology with “less problematic” mechanisms, he said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

    Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of a new book sharing the personal…

  • Looking Back

    Looking Back

    100 years ago 25 February 1926 Out of his class At the Dandenong Court, Samuel Carrick was charged with travelling on the railways between Dandenong and Tooradin in the first-class…

  • Shine light in the darkness

    Shine light in the darkness

    May light shine through the darkness for each of us this year. As I reflect on the many meanings of light, I find that there are many positive meanings that…

  • What’s On

    What’s On

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 396196 Mission Adoptable Australian Animal Protection Society is cutting fees for cuts and kittens to just $50 this weekend. A nationwide initiative to find…

  • Pride of Holden roars on

    Pride of Holden roars on

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534613 Brett Crawley is a proud member of Holden’s loyal legion displaying their prize classic cars in Dandenong next month. The Narre Warren North…